Thursday, December 20, 2012

What Is a Mother?

What Is Being A Mother?


 Is it marked by a certain age group that proves to be the most ready for parenting? Is it defined by a woman who has carried a baby in her belly? Is it decided based on whether your married or not? Is it shown in the way you choose to parent? or is it portrayed by how well you keep things together?

 I'm 19 years old. I wasn't planning on being a mother at this age.I got married young. I don't always have things together. Dinner sometimes comes out burnt. I don't always have perfect hair, flawless make up, or heels on. My home isn't always spotless. I struggle with confidence. I worry about money. Someday's I can't help but cry.. My husband comes home to a crying baby, a mommy who looks like a hot mess, and a dinner that was thrown together between nursing and diaper changes. I am not perfect. But I, I AM A MOTHER.

I may be a young mother. But I'm a dang good one. I may not have been in wedlock when my daughter was conceived, but that doesn't mean that I did not fall in love with my daughter the second I saw those two pink lines. I may have gotten married young, we may not have known each other completely but that doesn't mean that we don't work everyday to make our marriage better, or that we both don't love our daughter more than the all the stars in the sky. Burnt dinner doesn't taste so bad with extra ranch on the side. And my daughter smiles at me whether I'm dolled up or rocking the Mommy messy bun. Play mats on the floor and baby socks in cracks of the couch makes my home a home. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see everything that's wrong with me, but that doesn't mean I'm not thankful for every stretch mark on my belly that held my baby safely for 9 months. We may not have a million dollars but we have a million memories. There is days spent crying, but there are so many day's spent smiling. I am not perfect. But I, I am a Mother.
Being A Mother isn't marked by whether you had your child at the socially "acceptable" age, but its marked by if you choose to mature to be the best parent you could for your child. It isn't decided on whether you carried a baby in your belly, but if you decided to love and nurture your child from the second you saw their face. It is not based on whether you are a married wife or a single Mom, but is based on the Love you give your child, whether its pouring all your love into your child and husband, or giving your child enough love for both parents on your own. It's not shown in whether your the strictest or most easy going mother out there, but in whether your goal is to do only the best things for your child. Being a Mother is most definitely not in whether you have it all together, but its if you believe that when your together that you have it all.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, I think your life fits many.

    ReplyDelete