Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Calling

Have you ever had the feeling that you finally figured out your life's calling? I've been lucky enough to experience this and it was the first moment my husband placed my daughter into my arms. The world stopped, time stood still, my heart dropped into my stomach, it was just me and her the 20 other nurses and doctors were no longer present in my mind, the pain and tiredness escaped my body. She nuzzled into my chest, I always pictured that in that moment I would cry, but tears did not come, I was so overly in love my body had forgotten how to cry with joy. I sat there in awe, she was perfect, she was beyond what I had imagined, she was mine. The minutes felt like hours as we drifted into our own world. She didn't like her eyes to be open cause of the bright lights, but every few minutes she'd open her eyes to stare into mine. We fell in love. A love I had never known. A love that I could only have for this little girl who clung so closely to me. She needed me, she longed to be even closer though it wasn't possible for us to be any more close. She was so tired, she had a long birth, we both were exhausted, but she was my little fighter, she was just like her Mommy. We both fought to stay awake to feel each others presence. I lay awake staring at her, wondering why God chose me to have this blessing. Why should I be so lucky to have gotten to experience the strongest bond there ever was. That's when I realized this was my calling. This was what I was born to do. My world had changed forever. Her happiness became my life's ambition. She was my heartbeat. She was my daughter. She was my calling.

1 comment:

  1. That day was so very special, I know everyone has their own story. A story that you will never forget.
    Beautiful words Kristina.

    ReplyDelete